Why should we use Sulfate free shampoo?
Talking about shampoos, the main ingredient of the shampoos are sulfates. Sulfates are the term used in chemistry to denote a salt of sulfuric acid. Sulfates go by the name sodium lauryl sulfate or ammonium lauryl sulfate on the ingredients label of products. The sodium lauryl sulfate is the strongest and most popular one. The main reason why it is added to shampoos is that sulfate produces foam and is a powerful detergent. But why then should we use a sulfate-free shampoo, something increasingly demanded in the hair industry?
Sulfates are what make the shampoo frothy. Technically sulfates are a type of surfactant which is a term for various detergents, emulsifiers and foaming agents that attract both oil and water. Sulfates allow grime and dead skin cells to be removed from the skin and scalp and are washed away with water. People with dry and frizzy hair should always consider a sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfates can zap even more moisture from already parched strands that results in dull, dry and shine less hair.
Sulfate-free cleanser benefits:
- Maintain natural oil: the major advantage of sulfate free shampoos is that they clean the hair and maintain the natural shine simultaneously.
- Maintain hair treatments: after any hair treatament (keratin, antifrizz, color, etc.) sulfate free shampoos is highly recommended.
- Locks moisture: moisture is needed in hair to prevent problems such as split ends and breakage. The sulfates strip away the moisture from the hair fibers and results into dull and frizzy. The sulfate-free shampoos help retain the natural moisture in hair.
- Reduced irritation: as sulfates are harsh chemicals they tend to dry and irritate the scalp. This can also lead to inflammation. The sulfate-free products are mild and they gently clean the hair without creating such problems.
- Color care: the sulfate free shampoo does not strip down the color thus reducing fading. The color will last much longer is a sulfate free product is used.
- Suitable for every hair type: the sulfate free cleansers are appropriate on all hair types no matter curly, straight or colored. Also, it is safe to be used on those with a sensitive scalp.